Tuesday, November 4, 2008

New FOs

I've really been trying to make some progress on my Xmas knitting. I was hitting a lot of trouble with every project, having to restart most of them at least once and most often twice. I decided that I need to get some of the hats scratched of my list, since they are almost instant gratification and would give me some more stamina to complete some of the harder projects.

First I did the Irish Hiking hat. I removed the ribbing, cause I don't think it's really necessary on a cable/rib pattern. This one is for my cousin, who requested a green toque.

Details:
Pattern: Irish Hiking Hat by Blackhorsefree
Yarn: Cascade 220 Wool - Christmas Green 8894
Needles: US 7 / 4.5 mm
Made for: Kyron
Timeline: Oct 16th, 2008 - Oct 18th, 2008
Modifications: Omitted ribbing

Next I moved onto a simple black/tweed tuque for my Father-in-law who prefers his hats to be a little short. (Not covering the ears, although it looks perfect on my hat model).
Details:
Pattern: A Hat Fit for a Boyfriend by Stephanie Nicole
Yarn: Plymouth Yarn Galway Colornep - Black 509
Needles: US 6 / 4.0 mm
Made for: Father-in-law
Timeline: Oct 19th, 2008 - Oct 20th, 2008
Modifications: Shorter to not cover ears

Since I felt like I was on a roll I decided to keep going with hats and moved on to my brother's hat. I decided on using the Montreal Tuque pattern by Veronik Avery because of the three colour combination. His colour choices have nothing to do with the Edmonton Oilers and everything to do with the fact that they match his winter coat!
Details:
Pattern: Montreal Tuque by Veronik Avery
Yarn: Lang Yarns Merino 150 - Navy 0035, Gray 0124, & Orange 0059
Needles: US 3 / 3.25 mm
Made for: Father-in-law
Timeline: Oct 21st, 2008 - Oct 28th, 2008
Modifications: none

At this point, I'm starting to get tired of knitting for others. So I decide to cast on a hat for myself to ensure that I don't get angry about all this knitting for others that I'm doing. I was looking at yarns at Ariadne and I got drawn in by the Classic Elite Yarns Jil Eaton Minnow Merino. I looked on ravelry and there aren't that many patterns for it yet but I did see one Foliage that caught my eye and so I decided to finally cast on for that pattern. Especially since it's been in my queue for a few months and I've wanted to make it ever since it came out. It was my first time doing a hat top down so the beginning was a little confusing. The verdict is still out there on the yarn because although I love the colour and the fact that it's superwash despite looking like roving, it's kind of fuzzy/pilly and splits very easily (due to its roving nature) and it is tricky to fix your mistakes (unknit). I do love the way it feels (it's beautifully squishy). I won't decide how I feel about it until I've actually worn it a few times. As for the finished product, I should have chosen a better cast off method cause it's a little tight, but that just means that it also won't slide of my head like all my other hats (I have big hair).
Details:
Pattern: Foliage by Emilee Mooney
Yarn: Classic Elite Yarns Jil Eaton Minnow Merino - Aqua 4720
Needles: US 7 / 4.5 mm & US 5 / 3.75 mm
Made for: ME!
Timeline: Oct 30th, 2008 - Nov 3rd, 2008
Modifications: none

Before I started on this hat streak I finished my first of four Newfoundland Mittens for JF's cousins. They're 7 & 12 (i think, maybe 8 & 13) and instead of using a neutral with Noro this time, I just chose their favourite colours with white and black. The first is for the eldest, whose favourite colour is "Rose Fluo" or Bright pink. I decided to pair it with black since that makes it pop. The second pair will be "Mauve" or purple with white.
Details:
Pattern: Newfoundland Mitts by Traditional Design
Yarn: Mystery Pink Merino (Zara-like) and Black sock yarn (Regia or Phildar)
Needles US 3 / 3.25 mm & US 2½ / 3.0 mm
Made for:
Lolo
Timeline: Sept 27th, 2008 - Oct 16th, 2008
Modifications: added pattern repeats both in width and length, black yarn held double.

I still have a ton of projects to finish for xmas, but I'm slowing getting things done. I will have some extra time as I am spending xmas in Newfoundland and will be leaving the Quebec gifts until last and can knit on them while in Newfoundland, to be given in the New Year.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow! You are motoring through the Christmas presents. And good for you for knitting something for yourself, I plan to cast on something for me in the near future as well......