Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Mountain Adventure.

This past weekend was my father-in-law's birthday, and for his birthday he decided that he wanted to climb a mountain with his family. I was invited to come and despite my uncertainty about climbing a fair-sized mountain I went along for the adventure.

We went to Mt. Mansfield near Underhill, VT. It is much bigger than the only other mountain I've ever climbed Mont St-Hilaire. we set out early Sunday morning and got started on the mountain around 9 am. I started to get discouraged pretty early on because my asthma was giving me hell and making me extremely out of breath. At some point I'd pretty much given up but then I got a second wind and upon seeing this I just couldn't stop, I knew I wanted to see it from the top:

View from (almost) the top.

We finally made it and although the pictures don't really capture it (it was a bit foggy and the pictures show this) it was beautiful, absolutely the best time of the year to climb a mountain. We ate lunch and then started walking towards our descent point. shortly after we started to descend it started to snow (I'm not even kidding). It finally stopped and we kept coming down very slowly (I always thought that coming down was faster than going up but it was wet and slightly slippery so we came down extremely slow).
Those little white dots are snow people!!

We finally got off the mountain and everybody was in pain. Getting up and down has been the hardest thing ever for the last 2 days. But I'm still very glad I did it. I probably won't be doing that size of a mountain again for a while. I figure I'm better off building up to it.

No comments: