Saturday, January 24, 2009

Christmas trip and Christmas knitting

Oh boy did I ever take on too much xmas knitting, it's still not all done. and we're almost February.

Me and JF spent two weeks in Newfoundland with my family for Xmas. It was the first time he'd been there for the holidays and my first time since 2003. What a relief, I literally did nothing for most of the trip.

In my last post I had just started my dad's socks. A few days after xmas I finally finished them (due to lack of an internet connection for most of the trip, I needed to look up something so I could finish)

Details:
Pattern:Toe up sock with gusset this heel using the magic cast on.
Yarn: Oasis Yarn Aussi Sock
Needles: US 1.5 / 2.5 mm circ
Made for: Dad
Timeline: Nov 29th, 2008 - Dec 30th, 2008
Modifications: Just 2X2 rib, mostly improvised pattern.

He likes them a lot and wore them pretty much immediately.

Next up was a hat for my brother that I cast on on the way to NL and cast off the next day. I didn't want my brother to see me knitting it so I had to put my dad's sock aside for a bit. I knew my dad would see his socks cause I wanted them to fit him perfectly and so he got to try them on.

Details:
Pattern: A Hat Fit for a Boyfriend by Stephanie Nicole
Yarn: Cascade Superwash - Charcoal 900,
left over Blueberry, Green Apple and Chocolate for stripes
Needles: US 6 / 4.0 mm
Made for: Matthew
Timeline: Dec 21st, 2008 - Dec 22nd, 2008
Modifications: Added three 3-row stripes.

Somewhere in there I also finished my grand-father's Heavy socks which I started back in August on my trip to Maine.

Details:
Pattern:#101 Heavy Socks by Briggs & Little
Yarn: Briggs & Little Tuffy Smoke 87 & Oxford 86
Needles: US 3 / 3.25 mm
Made for: Pop N.
Timeline: Aug 22nd, 2008 - Dec 18th, 2008
Modifications: Added contrast heel, toe and cuff.


In the airport on the way home I cast on for my MIL's hat . She wanted a simple hat with earflaps but not like a snowboarder hat just so that her ears are very well covered. I this on with a very bad sinus infection, while extremely tired with no pattern and little idea of how I thought it might work. This is what I came up with.


Details:
Pattern: Ribbed Ear Flap hat by Me (pattern to come)
Yarn: Plymouth Yarn Galway Colornep
Needles: US 6 / 4.0 mm
Made for: MIL
Timeline: Jan 3rd, 2009 - Jan 9th, 2009
Modifications: None, it's all my design.

I also made an earflap hat for JF's sister it was this pattern but I forgot to photograph it before I gave it to her. I should be able to get a picture soon.

I also started a pair of gloves for my mom and I couldn't get them finished before I left so I brought them home with me. Because of the fact that we are seeing some people soon whose gifts I haven't finished, I have to put them on the backburner as well. I should photograph the progress soon however.

My most recent project has been a pair of Trigger Mitts for JF's grandfather. He's not a hunter but spends a lot of time outside in the winter shoveling (he enjoys shoveling). I thought that these would be perfect for him. I'm using two patterns to help me figure out parts of this, but it's pretty straight forward once you understand the basic construction of mittens and gloves. One of the patterns is something I got that's from Newfoundland, and it's the most common pattern for this type of mitt. I didn't follow the colourwork though and decided to go with Salt and Pepper on the back and thumb and finger and something simpler on the palms. JF is really enjoying these so they probably wont be my last pair.

Details:
Pattern: loosely based on Soft Mit-Gloves by Emily-Jane as well as a traditional Newfoundland pattern.
Yarn: Cascade Superwash - Chocolate 819 & Charcoal 900
Needles: US 4 / 3.5 mm
Made for: JF's grandfather
Timeline: Jan 10th, 2009 - Jan 25th, 2009 (I'm hoping to finish by tomorrow)
Modifications: lots. colour work, number of stitches. More or less improvised.

I'll post a picture of them when they're done.

All I have left is 1.5 pairs of Newfoundland mittens. The Pink and black one needs it's mate and I'm also doing a Purple and white pair for JF's cousins. I also need to make a felted kitchen set for JF's grandmother. Hopefully I'll be able to finish within the next 2 weeks. Then I can finish my mom's gloves. I really want to knit something for myself after that.

3 comments:

Karine said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Karine said...

Those are perfect for the firing range...

Ali P said...

I wondered where you had been, A! Nice knits! I went home to NS for Xmas...it was great. Its so good to get back home but very hard for me to leave it again.