Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Icewine mitten and Alpaca yarn

So I started knitting the first Icewine Mitten only to discover that the green I chose didn't work at all with the purple. Too dark and barely visible when knit in fair-isle. I set out on a hunt for a better green and finally found an Ultra Alpaca supplier in Montreal. I set out to Effiloché hoping that she would have one of the lighter greens I saw online. (She had two). I chose a colour called Pea Soup mix (love the name) and while I was there I decided that I should buy another colour to go with the darker green for a future project. I settled on a colour called Winter Squash (I'm more and more attracted to oranges and more autumnal colours. I will probably make Kate Gilbert's Wintergreen mittens with these colours.

Pea Soup Mix
Winter Squash

I did restart and finish the first Icewine mitten. I really like the pattern, and once I changed one circular instead of dpns things started going much smoother. ( I was getting bumps because of fair-isle and dpns blech!) Here the first mitt:
front
back

No comments: